The Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership (TRCP) is seeking an energetic, enthusiastic, and entrepreneurial Chief Communications Officer who can provide senior leadership to the organization’s efforts across multiple initiatives, including communications, organizational strategy, management, and finance. The candidate will have extensive background and experience with communications, conservation policy, and strategic planning, as well as strong skills in management, including financial management and human resources.
In addition to being a member of the executive team, the Chief Communications Officer will work closely with all members of the staff as well as key stakeholders, including, but not limited to, Board members, donors, and nonprofit and corporate partners. The position reports directly to the CEO and is based in TRCP’s Washington, D.C. headquarters. This is an executive management position and comes with an excellent benefits package.
Founded in 2002, the TRCP is a national nonprofit organization with a mission to guarantee all Americans quality places to hunt and fish by strengthening laws, policies and funding affecting fish and wildlife conservation and access. We do this by uniting and amplifying the voices of our individual members and our 60 nonprofit partner organizations.
- Ensures that the TRCP brand, mission, and vision are at the forefront of all external communications.
- Coordinates with staff to position TRCP as the leading sportsmen’s and sportswomen’s voice on Capitol Hill, with its partners, and with national media.
- Grows and engages the TRCP audience in support of TRCP’s conservation and policy goals using technology and creative strategies.
- Works directly with media to shape conservation news narratives and strengthen TRCP and staff’s profile with national media.
- Provides thought leadership with program staff to draft creative communications plans to advance conservation objectives.
- Builds and manages a fully integrated communications department including earned media, digital media, membership, and stakeholder relations.
- Oversees Communications Director, Digital Director, Western Communications Manager, and Digital Coordinator.
- Staffs the Communications Committee of the Board and works with the Board to meet the organization’s communications objectives.
- Works with senior leadership to develop and monitor organizational strategies, plans, communications, and operations.
- Oversees Operations Director and Development and Operations Associate.
- Provides oversight of personnel and human resource policies, including employee recruiting and retention plans and benefits management.
- Oversees contracts with payroll, benefits, IT, insurance, and security vendors.
- Ensures that TRCP is using the current technology infrastructure.
- Works with Operations Director to file annual business registrations, compliance reports for retirement plans, workers compensation audits, and other administrative notices.
- Oversees the Director of Finance.
- Works with the Director of Finance to coordinate the annual budgeting process.
- Ensures that TRCP maintains its top ratings from independent watchdog groups.
- Lead staff member to the Finance, Audit, and Investment Committees of the Board of Directors.
- Reviews monthly and funder financial reports.
- Approves accounts payable.
- Provides staff with a strong day-to-day leadership presence supporting an open-door policy among all staff.
- Leads internal communications to advance the organization’s strategic goals.
- Lead staff member for TRCP’s Corporate Council, ensuring that corporate partners are engaged and contributing to the organization’s mission and goals.
- Works with the development team to cultivate donors.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- 10+ years’ operational management and communications experience required, preferably in a non-profit setting.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced professional degree preferred.
- Strong leadership and team-building skills.
- Expertise in all aspects of earned and digital media and its use in driving advocacy campaigns and growing membership.
- Strategic vision and agility.
- High level business acumen.
- Strong understanding of finance, systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems.
- Maintains a strong working knowledge of federal government.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS
- Enthusiasm for the outdoors; hunting/fishing background a plus (but not required).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and concisely (both in writing and orally); with an impressive history of forging strong relationships with multiple stakeholders
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining disciplined adherence to program goals; unflappable.
- Strict adherence to ethical and confidentiality guidelines.
- Ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment.
- A record of success in creating and implementing challenging public policy campaigns.
- Strategic thinking; ability to anticipate future consequences and trends and incorporate them into the organizational plan.
- Ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity.
- Availability to travel when needed
The TRCP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and veterans, LGBTQ+ individuals, women, and diverse candidates are encouraged to apply. To apply for this position, email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Chief Communications Officer”. The position will remain open until filled.