This is an outstanding opportunity for a strongly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast growing, highly respected sportsmen’s conservation organization.
The Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership (TRCP) is seeking an energetic, enthusiastic and entrepreneurial Chief Communications Officer who can provide senior leadership to the organization’s efforts across multiple initiatives, including communications, organizational strategy, management, and finance. The candidate will have extensive background and experience with communications, conservation policy, and strategic planning, as well as strong skills in management, including financial management and human resources.
In addition to being a member of the executive team, the Chief Communications Officer will work closely with all members of the staff as well as key stakeholders, including, but not limited to, Board members, donors, and nonprofit and corporate partners. The position is based in TRCP’s Washington, D.C. headquarters. This is an executive management position and comes with an excellent benefits package.
Founded in 2002, the TRCP is a national nonprofit organization with a mission to guarantee all Americans quality places to hunt and fish by strengthening laws, policies and funding affecting fish and wildlife conservation and access. We do this by uniting and amplifying the voices of our individual members and our 58 nonprofit partner organizations.
- Builds and manages a fully-integrated Communications department; coordinates all aspects of communications, including issue campaigns, fundraising, membership development, media events and skill building events with our Partners.
- Oversees Director of Communications and provides strategic direction to TRCP’s communications efforts.
- Ensures proper internal communications between communications team and policy and development teams.
- Staffs the Communications Committee of the Board and works with the Board to meet the organization’s communications objectives.
- Lead staff member for TRCP’s Corporate Council, ensuring that corporate partners are engaged and contributing to the organization’s mission and goals.
- Convenes partners and the media in various settings to advance organizational goals.
- Ensures communications-related grant deliverables are being met.
- Oversees the TRCP brand and logo(s).
- Spearheads long-term strategic planning and implements new processes and approaches to achieve it.
- Leads internal and external communications to advance the organization’s strategic goals.
- Works with senior leadership and policy center leads to monitor organizational strategies, plans, deliverables and metrics and increases key impact measurements.
- Oversees personnel and human resource policies.
- Provides staff with strong day-to-day leadership presence; bridges DC-based and non-DC-based staff and supports open-door policy among all staff.
- Oversees Operations Manager and relationships with CRM, website, and IT vendors.
- Ensures that TRCP is using the current technology infrastructure and identifies the next level of information technology and financial systems that support the growth of TRCP programs and the organization overall.
- Manages relations with pro-bono counsel.
- Oversees Director of Finance.
- Coordinates annual operations plan and organizational budget.
- Ensures that TRCP has an accounting system that provides the organization with quick access to financial information and enables strategic budgeting.
- Works with the Director of Finance to ensure that TRCP maintains its top ratings from independent watchdog groups.
- Lead staff member to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Works with the Chief Development Officer and CEO to identify and cultivate major donors for TRCP.
- Works with Corporate Partners to expand philanthropic support to TRCP and to engage those corporations in key conservation priorities.
- Expands member/supporter database to activate community on critical policy issues and help develop new donors.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- 10+ years’ operational management and communications experience required, preferably in a non-profit setting.
- Expertise in all aspects of traditional, digital and mobile media and its use in driving advocacy campaigns and growing membership.
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or other Master’s degree preferred.
- Results-proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation.
- Strategic vision and agility.
- High level business acumen.
- Strong leadership and team-building skills.
- Communications acumen and a good intuition for how to position a national sportsmen’s organization in a news cycle.
- Strong understanding of finance, systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems.
- Maintains a strong working knowledge of federal political and conservation trade press and news.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS
- Enthusiasm for the outdoors; hunting/fishing background a plus (but not required).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and concisely (both in writing and orally); with an impressive history of forging strong relationships with multiple stakeholders
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining disciplined adherence to program goals; unflappable.
- Strict adherence to ethical and confidentiality guidelines.
- Ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment.
- Strong connections in the traditional and digital media communities.
- A record of success in creating and implementing challenging public policy campaigns.
- Strategic thinking; ability to anticipate future consequences and trends and incorporate them into the organizational plan.
- Ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity.
- Availability to travel when needed.
Status: Full Time
Reports to: President & CEO
Closing date is November 16, 2018. Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.